Up to 6 Simultaneous Remotes plus WheatNet-IP
Rapidly expand your remote capability with the award winning Merlin PLUS with WheatNet-IP and manage up to 6 bidirectional mono connections with IP codecs or smartphones using Report-IT, saving money on codec hardware costs and reducing studio rack space requirements. The codec’s purpose-built rear panel provides a WheatNet-IP LAN interface for connecting to the WheatNet-IP Environment.
IP remotes can be performed over the public internet between a Merlin PLUS codec with WheatNet-IP at the studio and remote Tieline IP codecs or smartphones running the Report-IT Enterprise application.
2 Simultaneous Stereo Remotes with IFB
Merlin PLUS with WheatNet-IP is also capable of two simultaneous stereo or mono remotes with separate IFB communication channels.
WheatNet-IP Networking Applications
|Tieline WheatNet-IP Card|
This version of the Merlin PLUS codec includes a purpose-built Tieline WheatNet audio card, which also provides compatibility with the AES67 standard for AoIP interoperability.
Two additional Ethernet ports allow IP streaming between the studio and 6 simultaneous bidirectional mono remotes, or two simultaneous stereo or mono remotes with separate IFB communication channels.
This unique multiple remote capability is delivered by a single 19 inch x 1RU box, saving money on codec hardware costs and greatly reducing studio rack space requirements for broadcasters.
|Merlin PLUS Codec with WheatNet IP|
Merlin PLUS with WheatNet-IP delivers:
- Up to 6 simultaneous bidirectional mono remote connections.
- 2 x Bidirectional mono or stereo remotes, each with a separate bidirectional IFB communications channel.
- Simple local or remote command and control.
- Recallable codec configurations via ‘programs’.
Reliability and Connectivity
Merlin PLUS will connect to all Tieline IP codecs, including G3 codecs, Bridge-IT, the Genie family of codecs and Report-IT Enterprise smartphone applications. It includes dual Gigabit (10/100/1000) Ethernet ports, dual redundant power supplies, audio silence detection and IP network backup solutions to ensure you’re always on the air. An automated network failure detection feature provides switching to a backup IP LAN connection. You can also fail over to backup ISDN or POTS connections as required using optional ISDN or POTS modules. Connect over:
- Public Wide Area Networks (WANs)
- Private Local Area Networks (LANs)
- 3G and 4G wireless Networks #
- Wi-Fi and WiMAX Networks #
SmartStream: Rock Solid Audio using Inexpensive IP Links
As an IP audio pioneer, Tieline was the first major codec manufacturer to integrate SmartStream features such as Automated Jitter Buffer management, Forward Error Correction (FEC) and error concealment techniques in all IP codecs. These features dynamically respond to variable conditions over unmanaged IP networks like the public internet to ensure reliable streaming.
Now SmartStream PLUS has revolutionised IP broadcasting by delivering the rock solid and reliable STL-grade audio quality you would expect over a T1/E1 link by using inexpensive unmanaged IP networks like the internet for STLs, audio distribution and remotes.
SmartStream IP Delivers …
Some other manufacturers charge thousands of dollars for IP management software like SmartStream as if it’s an optional extra, however Tieline believes high performance and rock-solid reliability is an essential part of each and every broadcast, and therefore delivers its renowned SmartStream IP management software for free.
SmartStream PLUS delivers an additional layer of mission critical redundancy and is available as standard in Tieline’s Merlin PLUS with WheatNet-IP.
The codec supports streaming multiple algorithms simultaneously at different sample rates and bit-rates over a range of connection transports.
Merlin PLUS is capable of 16-24bit 22kHz low latency linear PCM audio at up to 48kHz sampling and features aptX® Enhanced, LC-AAC, HE-AAC v1 and v2, AAC-LD, AAC-ELDv1 and v2, Opus, MPEG II, MPEG Layer-3, Tieline Music and MusicPLUS, G.722 and G.711 algorithms. Merlin PLUS with WheatNet-IP supports up to 6 simultaneous streams of Opus encoding.
Flexibility and Interoperability
|Tieline G5 ISDN module|
Many broadcast networks are transitioning to IP but still require connectivity over ISDN or POTS. Tieline Merlin PLUS WheatNet-IP codecs deliver flexibility by allowing you to connect over ISDN, POTS or IP networks as required. Simply purchase optional ISDN G5 or POTS G5 modules, insert them in the codec and you are ready to connect over ISDN, POTS or IP on demand.
Merlin PLUS with WheatNet-IP supports both IPv4 and IPv6 (Dual Stack) protocols, so broadcasters can be assured that they have made a smart investment for the future as new networks and technologies emerge over time.
Connect over IP with any SIP-enabled IP codec brand that supports the EBU N/ACIP tech 3326 standard, as well as VoIP telephone devices supporting G.711 and G.722. Merlin PLUS with WheatNet-IP is also compliant with I3P EBU334 requirements for interoperability of AoIP production intercoms.
IP Network Management
1. Use Tieline’s Toolbox web-browser Graphical User Interface to connect to your codec and configure individual codec settings over a LAN, WAN or the internet.
# Requires 3rd party device * Feature not available in the first release
- Robust DSP-based architecture designed for rock solid, mission critical broadcast audio.
- 24 Bit 48kHz audio sampling.
- WheatNet-IP LAN port and Sync/Stream LEDs.
- Bidirectional Mono, Stereo or dual mono connections.
- 6 Simultaneous bidirectional mono remote connections.
- 2 Bidirectional mono or stereo remotes, each with separate bidirectional IFB communications channel.
- Uncompressed PCM audio plus the low-delay, cascade resiliant aptX® Enhanced algorithm.
- Other popular algorithms including LC-AAC, HE-AAC v1 and v2, AAC-LD, AAC-ELDv1 and v2, Opus, MPEG II, MPEG Layer-3, Tieline Music and MusicPLUS, G.722 and G.711.
- Dual 1 Gigabit (10/100/1000) Ethernet ports support automatic switching for redundancy.
- Connect over Wi-Fi using USB Wi-Fi dongles.
- Primary and backup audio over IP, ISDN* and POTS*.
- Automated failover to backup connections.
- SmartStream PLUS dual redundant IP streaming.
- Fuse-IP network bonding (data aggregation) of Ethernet ports or Ethernet and Wi-Fi.
- SIP (SDP) compatible with EBU N/ACIP 3326 for interoperability with other codec manufacturers.
- Deterministic SIP answering and call routing: Configure up to 6 SIP accounts and connect up to 2 SIP interfaces.
- Compatibility over ISDN with Worldcast, Prodys, Mayah, CDQ Prima, AETA, AEQ, Orban and more.
- Compatibility over ISDN using aptX Enhanced encoding with Worldcast, Prodys Prontonet and Mayah.
- Selectable fixed or automatic jitter buffer: 5 automated settings available to manage network connectivity and avoid dropouts (includes configurable min and max buffer settings).
- Configurable Forward Error Correction (FEC).
- Highly advanced error concealment strategies.
- Real-time IP connection packet statistics.
- Real-time POTS line quality and IP link quality displayed.
- Support for Line Hunt dialing/answering and caller IDs using Tieline IP.
- Full hardware front panel interface including navigation, LCD display, PPM meters and dialing key pad.
- User-friendly HTML5 Toolbox Web-GUI enables codec configuration and control remotely over WANs.
- Interfaces with Wheatstone Navigator software for source/destination configuration.
- Interfaces with Wheatstone Razor software for WheatNet-IP card configuration.
- Toolbox Scheduler supports loading/unloading, connecting and disconnecting programs.
- Auto switching, dual redundant internal AC power supplies.
- IPv4 & IPv6 compatible and ready.
- Asymmetric algorithmic encode/decode.
- Low latency in-band RS-232 aux data channel.
- Configurable software rules engine via web-GUI for Control Port (4 inputs/outputs) functions, plus WheatNet-IP LIO compatibility.
- Upgrade firmware from USB sticks.
- Backup and restore configuration via USB sticks.
- Automated firmware upgrade notifications via Web-GUI.
- Support for multiple languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese and French.
- Backward compatible with all Tieline IP codecs.
- User name and password protection of codec and Toolbox Web-GUI.
- Support for SSL Security Certificate installation.
- SIP Whitelists and Blacklists allow filtering of SIP URIs and User Agents.
|Analog Audio Inputs||2 x Female XLR line inputs|
|Analog Audio Outputs||2 x Male XLR|
|Auxiliary Input||1 x 6.35mm (1/4″) Mic/Line level Jack on rear panel (15V phantom power available)|
|Headphones Out/Aux Out||1 x 6.35mm (1/4″) Jack on rear panel and 1 x 6.35mm (1/4″) Jack on the front panel|
|Control Port In/Out||Four relay inputs and four opto-isolated outputs for machine control via a DB15 connector.|
|Audio Input Impedance||High Impedance > 5K ohm|
|Output Impedance||<50 ohm Balanced|
|Clipping Level||+22dBu (input and outputs)|
|A/D & D/A Converters||24 bit|
|Frequency Response at 48kHz||20Hz to 22kHz|
|THD and Noise (Analog)||<0.0035% at +16dBu or -89dBu unweighted|
|THD and Noise (Digital)||<0.000056%|
|Analog Signal To Noise Ratio||>98.5dB at +22dBu, unweighted|
|IP Sample Frequencies||16kHz, 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz|
|IP||Tieline Music, Tieline MusicPLUS, G.711, G.722, MPEG-1 Layer 2, MP3, LC-AAC, HE-AAC and HE-AACv2, AAC-LD, AAC-ELD, Opus, 16/24 bit aptX Enhanced|
|IP (uncompressed)||Linear PCM16/24 bit 48kHz sampling|
|Data and Control Interfaces|
|USB||USB 2.0 Host port on the front panel supports Wi-Fi using a USB Wi-Fi dongle and USB stick firmware upgrades|
|LAN||2 x 10/100/1000 RJ45 connectors|
|Advanced Networking||VLAN tagging (IEEE 802.1Q,802.1p)|
|WheatNet-IP LAN||1 x 10/100 RJ45 connector to distribute WheatNet-IP audio|
|Serial||RS232 up to 115kbps with or without CTS/RTS flow control via female DB9 connector, can be used as a proprietary data channel|
|Protocols Supported||Tieline, DHCP, SNMP, DNS, HTTP, IGMP, ICMP, VLAN, IPv4/v6, FEC, SIP/SDP (EBU N/ACIP Tech 3326 compliant), RTP, I3P EBU3347 compliant, AES67|
|ISDN via module||Optional via module slot|
|POTS via module||Optional via module slot|
|Front Panel Interfaces|
|Display||256 x 64 monochrome LCD|
|Keypad||21 button keypad|
|Navigation||5 button keypad|
|Size||1U x 19″ Rackmount|
|Dimensions||19” x 1.75” x 13.5” [482mm (W) x 44mm (H) x 343mm (D) including rear connectors]|
|Power Consumption||Dual AC 100-240V IEC power inlets; 1A – 50-60Hz|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F)|
|Humidity Operating Range||20% ≤RH ≤70% (0 to 35°C/32°F to 95°F), non-condensing|