It’s time to reimagine remote broadcasting with the definitive remote codec of our generation. Tieline’s revolutionary ViA portable codec sets a new standard in wireless remote broadcasting and will fundamentally change the way you perform live remotes.
Picture yourself or an announcer taking your codec to a remote site, powering it up and tapping a single button on a color touch screen to get connected – just like making a phone call. Wouldn’t it be great if remotes were that simple? Well now they are – with ViA.
Remotes without limits…
Our mission is to empower you with the technology to go live where no broadcaster has been before, and make it simpler. ViA delivers 6 IP interface options, making it simpler to go live than ever before.
Connect over IP with dual Ethernet LAN ports, or 2 USB modems, or an internal LTE module, or use built-in Wi-Fi. There’s no need for an external Wi-Fi modem and you can connect to access points in seconds. Stream using a cell-phone Wi-Fi hotspot, or connect to hotels and other public Wi-Fi access points using the integrated web-portal in a snap!
But wait there’s more…
ViA is the only remote codec that supports IP, ISDN and POTS, plus data aggregation and redundant IP streaming. Insert an optional POTS or ISDN module and the codec is instantly transformed to connect over alternative network transports. This means you can configure primary and backup connections over different network transports as required, or use them as your IFB circuit.
ViA delivers all the flexible transport options you would expect from a professional codec. Select wired or wireless IP options, or choose to connect over ISDN or POTS
The color touch screen has menus designed to provide a familiar and intuitive user experience, similar to using a smartphone. Navigate and configure settings with the touch screen, or use front panel navigation buttons – the choice is yours. Adaptive light-sensor controls ensure the screen is readable in even the toughest light conditions
Power on the GO!
A rechargeable Lithium-ion smart battery delivers up to 6.5 hours* of broadcast time. Extend battery performance with features such as screen sleep time-out, screen brightness controls, plus automatic low battery power saving measures.
Wi-Fi Remotes on the Go
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity and an integrated web portal expands your connection options from access points in hotels, fast food chains, or even a smartphone’s Wi-Fi hotspot. Add Wi-Fi access points in seconds and stream program audio or your IFB circuit.
Dual Cellular USB Modems
ViA supports many pre-tested cellular USB modems out of the box. Insert a modem into a USB port and you’re ready to go live in seconds! Bond data from modems with Fuse-IP, or use 2 modems with SmartStream PLUS dual redundant streaming.
Simplify use with Admin & Basic modes
Restrict user access to complicated network settings and take the hassle out of broadcasting forever. An administrator can configure 'Basic Mode’ to simplify operation and present a subset of menus suitable for non-technical users. Configure the codec to automatically power-up in basic mode, then tap a program to go live in seconds.
Fuse-IP and SmartStream PLUS
With Tieline’s proprietary Fuse-IP data aggregation technology you can bond multiple IP interfaces, including options like:
- 2 USB modems, or
- Built-in Wi-Fi, or
- Dual Ethernet LAN Ports, or
- Internal LTE cellular module.
Imagine the peace of mind knowing you can bond 2 cellular data links from different Telcos and let Tieline’s Fuse-IP technology automatically manage the data capability of each link! Tieline understands flexibility is paramount for remotes, so you can even bond a USB modem with a Wi-Fi connection, or bond Ethernet connections.
ViA also includes Tieline’s SmartStream PLUS dual redundant streaming software, which has set the benchmark for redundant IP streaming over the public internet. Some manufacturers charge thousands of dollars for IP management software like SmartStream PLUS as an optional extra, however Tieline believes high performance and rock-solid reliability is an essential part of each and every broadcast, so you get it for FREE!
With Tieline’s SmartStream PLUS and Fuse-IP technologies, as well as automated jitter buffer management and error correction strategies, you can be assured of trouble-free motoring on the information superhighway!
Stereo Program and IFB Communications
ViA seamlessly integrates with Tieline’s Merlin and Merlin PLUS audio codecs to transmit high fidelity, full duplex stereo program audio with a separate bidirectional IFB circuit. As an example, you could use a USB data modem to broadcast your main program feed and another USB modem or Wi-Fi to transmit your IFB circuit. Now that’s flexible!
Route any Input to any Output…
ViA delivers the ultimate in flexibility by allowing any input to be routed to any output using the simple touch screen Matrix Router. The codec also supports saving, renaming and loading custom matrices. Customize Cue and Talkback functionality to easily route communications audio locally, or to the studio.
|Route any input to any output
|Create custom cue and talkback mixes
Customize Headphone Monitoring and Output Routing
Announcers can customize headphone monitoring using the simplest headphone monitoring interface imaginable. Tap the touchscreen to select and deselect input sources in real-time. Save setup time by recalling customized headphone mixes for different announcers in a snap! You can even customize audio routed to analog XLR and digital outputs, including output levels, send/return balance and output mute.
|Customize headphone mixes for announcers
|Customize Output Routing in seconds
- Robust DSP-based architecture designed for rock solid, mission critical broadcast audio.
- 24 Bit 48kHz audio sampling.
- 3 Analog Mic/line inputs (input 1 supports stereo AES3 digital audio, or mono AES42 microphone).
- Stereo analog line input and stereo digital in/out via micro-USB or S/PDIF.
- Touch screen matrix editor routes any input to any output: includes customized cue/talkback routing for all announcers; save, rename and recall custom matrices as required.
- Customize headphone mixes via touch screen for 3 headphone outputs.
- EQ, compression and limiting on all inputs.
- Output AGC available on all outputs.
- Touch screen adjustments to digital and XLR output routing, audio levels, send/return balance, plus output mute buttons.
- Bidirectional Mono, Stereo or dual mono connections.
- Bidirectional Mono or Stereo plus a separate full-duplex IFB circuit.
- Uncompressed PCM audio plus the low-delay, cascade resiliant aptX® Enhanced algorithm.
- Other popular algorithms including LC-AAC, HE-AAC v1 and v2, AAC-LD, AAC-ELDv1 and v2, Opus, MPEG II, MPEG Layer-3, Tieline Music and MusicPLUS, G.722 and G.711.
- Dual 1 Gigabit (10/100/1000) Ethernet ports support automatic switching for redundancy.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with integrated web-browser: Stream using a cell-phone Wi-Fi hotspot, or connect to hotels and other Wi-Fi access points
- Primary and backup audio over IP, ISDN* and POTS*.
- Automated failover to backup connections.
- SmartStream PLUS dual redundant IP streaming:
- Fuse-IP network bonding (data aggregation): bond any 2 of the 6 available IP interfaces.
- SIP (SDP) compatible with EBU N/ACIP 3326 for interoperability with other codec manufacturers.
- Deterministic SIP answering and call routing: Configure up to 6 SIP accounts and connect up to 2 SIP interfaces.
- Compatibility over ISDN with Worldcast, Prodys, Mayah, CDQ Prima, AETA, AEQ, Orban and more.
- Compatibility over ISDN using aptX Enhanced encoding with Worldcast, Prodys Prontonet and Mayah.
- Selectable fixed or automatic jitter buffer: 5 automated settings available to manage network connectivity and avoid dropouts (includes configurable min and max buffer settings).
- Configurable Forward Error Correction (FEC).
- Highly advanced error concealment strategies.
- Real-time IP connection packet statistics.
- Real-time POTS line quality and IP link quality displayed.
- Support for Line Hunt dialing/answering and caller IDs using Tieline IP.
- User-friendly HTML5 Toolbox Web-GUI enables codec configuration and control remotely over WANs.
- Toolbox Scheduler supports loading/unloading, connecting and disconnecting programs.
- Auto switching, dual redundant internal AC power supplies.
- Automated failover to backup connections.
- IPv4 & IPv6 compatible and ready.
- Asymmetric algorithmic encode/decode.
- Low latency in-band RS-232 aux data channel.
- Configurable software rules engine via web-GUI for Control Port (4 inputs/outputs) functions, plus WheatNet-IP LIO compatibility.
- Upgrade firmware from SD card.
- Automated firmware upgrade notifications via Web-GUI.
- Support for multiple languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese and French.
- Backward compatible with all Tieline IP codecs.
- Ships with a road case, battery and power supply as standard
- User name and password protection of codec and Toolbox Web-GUI.
- Support for SSL Security Certificate installation.
- SIP Whitelists and Blacklists allow filtering of SIP URIs and User Agents.
|Input / Output Specifications
|Analog Audio Inputs
|3 x Female XLR mic / line inputs
|Analog Audio Outputs
|2 x Male XLR
|AES3 In (via input 1)
|1 x female XLR (Channel 1 in; shared with Ch1 analog input & Ch 1 AES42 input)
|AES 42 (via input 1)
|1 x female XLR (Channel 1 in; shared with Ch1 analog input and Ch1 AES3 input)
|S/PDIF in/out (RCA), or micro-USB in/out, or 3.5mm (1/8″) Jack line input
|3 x 6.35mm (1/4″) Jacks
|Control Port In/Out
|Four relay inputs and four opto-isolated outputs for machine control via a DB15 connector.
|Mic Phantom Power
|Selectable 10V or 48V phantom power on all analog XLR inputs
|AES42 Digital Phantom Power
|High Impedance > 5K ohm (line input); approximately 2K ohm (mic input)
|<50 ohm Balanced
|+22dBu (XLR input and outputs)
|A/D & D/A Converters
|Frequency Response at 48kHz
|20Hz to 22kHz
|THD and Noise (Analog)
|< 0.005% (-86dB) at +16dBu unweighted
|THD and Noise (Digital)
|<0.0001% (-120dB) at -1 dBFS
|Analog Signal to Noise
|>90dB at +22dBu, unweighted
|IP Sample Frequencies
|8kHz, 16kHz, 24kHz, 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz
|Tieline Music, Tieline MusicPLUS, G.711, G.722, MPEG-1 Layer 2, MP3, LC-AAC, HE-AAC and HE-AACv2, AAC-LD, AAC-ELD, Opus, 16/24 bit aptX Enhanced
|Linear PCM16/24 bit 48 kHz sampling
|Data and Control Interfaces
|2 x USB 2.0 Host ports
|2 x 10/100/1000 RJ45 Ethernet ports
|VLAN tagging (IEEE 802.1Q,802.1p)
|RS232 up to 115kbps with or without CTS/RTS flow control via female DB9 connector, can be used as a proprietary data channel
|Tieline, DHCP, SNMP, DNS, HTTP, IGMP, ICMP, VLAN, IPv4/v6, FEC, SIP/SDP (EBU N/ACIP Tech 3326 compliant), RTP, STUN**
|ISDN via module
|Optional via module slot
|POTS via module
|Optional via module slot
|IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n with dual band support (2.4 and 5 GHz); WPA2-PSK encryption.
|Front Panel Interfaces
|4.3 inch TFT Color LCD touch screen
|Touch screen or 5 button navigation keypad
|7 11/64″ x 3 5/16″ x 8 15/32″; 182mm (W) x 84mm (H) x 215mm (D); includes protruding front connectors, rear battery compartment lugs and rubber feet
|1.62 kg (with battery)
|Li-ion internal battery or external 12VDC 3A Power Supply
|0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
|Humidity Operating Range
|15% ≤RH ≤80% (0 to 35°C/32°F to 95°F), non-condensing
|Rechargable Li-ion battery pack RRC2057; 7.5 V, 6.4 AH, 8A; Fast charging; 240g
|Up-to 6.5 hours*
|Battery Storage Temperature
|Max: -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to 122°F)
Recommended: -20°C to 25°C (-4°F to 77°F)
|Battery Charge Time (inside codec with power supply attached)
|Charge time with maximum charge current < 4hrs at 25°C
|Battery Life Expectancy
|Minimum 300 charge/discharge cycles as per manufacturer’s charge/discharge recommendations
* Battery life may vary depending on the type of connection and power-saving mode configured
** Future Release